Saturday, January 8, 2011

I have a lot to say....

I haven't been able to sit down and write because I've been travelling. I flew back out to California with my dad, unloaded my suitcase back at AGO, and promptly left for the hotel. I've spent the last couple of days gallivanting around the county looking for apartments to live in after graduation. It's been an interesting few days since I got here. Let's go in reverse, shall we?

1) I was chatting with a very wise friend of mine and boldly asked if God had ever revealed to her anything concerning me. Long story short, it involved patience. It struck a chord: I am one of the most impatient individuals you'll meet, mild ADD doesn't help. Since putting down serious violin my concentration abilities and attention span have been seriously compromised. I get jittery and antsy very easily. Traffic is hard. It's something I have to work on. Pray about. She also sent me a wonderful document about how God sees me. That's also an area of struggle for me--the pessimist in me, coupled (enslaved by, really) a musicians drive to be better has left me incredibly cynical and with a view of myself that, though not negative, is usually lacking and in need of improvement. Such is the mind of any serious musician. I need to relearn that God doesn't see me the way I see me. So many things to think about.

2) USC's internet services blow. I'm not entirely sure why we can't hook up a wireless device in our house. Don't they recognize that we use multiple sources in one area? It wouldn't really matter if we weren't already paying for the school's wireless, which we don't get in the house at all because there are no repeaters. We've asked for them. No dice. This is pretty annoying.

3) We've been driving around. A lot. It's nice to spend some time with my dad, minus the arguing, minus my childish antics. That being said, I'm reminded of how much I hate driving, especially in LA. Anyway, with the economy how it is, we find it interesting that the condo, when we used to live there, would have sold for under $200,000. Included in the price: 2 levels, 2 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, wash/dry inside the unit, office space, storage space, balcony, fireplace, hardwood floors, pantry, parking space, and a large main area. Plus huge windows and a great view of the train station ( I love trains). For $215,000 in LA I can get about half of that. Maybe. And it won't necessarily be in good condition. My, how times have changed. Oh, it's also nice to be old enough to say something like that.

4) Leaving home is tough. It was tough in 2007. It's worse now. Next time I go back to New Jersey I'll be a "responsible" adult. Makes me nervous, and extremely excited for the future and what God has in store.

5) I hate flying. Long flights are killer. But this trip to the airport provided two wonderful tidbits:

I witness a man at the urinal doing his business. That's fine, except he had his son tucked under his shoulder, with the head in the urinal.

A little Jewish boy named Ari was crawling all over the floor of said bathroom. His father: "Ari, get off the floor, it's filthy!"

On the news: Contractor accidentally knocks down the wrong house. WHAT?!

I still got the crying baby. But also two friendly women that I got to chat a bit with.

I also met an alumni that has offered to help me connect with some people.

6) I haven't worked out since five days ago. I welcome the rest, especially since I was/am sick (thank you, Snow Murph). I can feel my calves again. But I CANNOT WAIT to get back to crossfit.

Song of the Day: Mendelssohn, Hebrides Overture. Wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment