Monday, December 27, 2010

Handing Over the Keys

After a semester of blogging for class, six months after opening another blog (which I have since lost track of) I'm back. Partly out of boredom, partly out of the necessity to keep my head clear-everyone needs to empty their brains of all of the random, mostly unimportant information they process daily to get to the good stuff, and most of the good stuff should be put down.

I was re-inspired by Becca Borawski, who keeps her own (highly entertaining) blog. I write this for myself, so it'll probably be humorous in a way I understand, though not highly informative-that is, unless you want to figure out what goes on in my head.

Lots of things have been happening lately. Many "lasts", if you will. Last "winter break", last time I'll see a bunch of people, et cetera. I hesitate to write this, but last Sunday was the last day I (and my family) would attend my home church. Since 2003 there's been a lot of turnover in leadership, namely the departure (forced or otherwise) of two pastors, as well as the in/outflux of people who followed them. As I sat in the balcony, I realized how anemic the church seemed, a shadow of its former self. I'm not old, but I've been around there long enough to say I can remember a time when the children's choir was three times larger, and they actually wanted to participate. The congregation seemed sometimes apathetic, sometimes lackadaisical--during a time when I'll be starting a search for a new community this was just something that solidified those thoughts and feelings. Nothing like a little ribbing from God to get you on your way.

I think the most painful thing for me was being forced to say goodbye to a familiar place, even though it felt incredibly odd to be there. The combination of my time on Sunday morning and my Christmas Eve really threw me for a loop.

Traditionally, Italians celebrate Christmas Eve as well as the actual day (check it, Italian nativity scenes don't put the baby Jesus in until the 25th). I've been going to my zia's in upstate New York since forever, this year was no different. Sort of. Being away in California has really hurt my perception of time as it applies to the much older people. Seeing another of my aunts in the shape that she was in was really painful, especially since I can remember a time, not too long ago, that she was a much different person. Time and the weather haven't been kind, and I'm glad that I got to see her before I move west.

So with her aging, plus the absence of Zio Mario, who passed in August of last year, without my cousin and her children and her brother and his family, it seemed pretty empty. It was nice to catch up with Nicky and I had a good time. I never knock family time. It just felt odd. It wouldn't have bothered me as much if other things weren't in motion that were saying "Hey, Nicola, things are coming to a close for you here. It's time to focus on the future."

Here comes the fun part. Not many people have the opportunity to start a new life for themselves. Yeah, I loved my childhood and what not, but leaving the people here behind (friends and family not included, of course) was the best decision I ever made. Consequently, I found myself at an incredible school, with brothers I would trust my life with, Crossfitting my heart out, and getting ready to work in entertainment.

I named this blog "Flip Flopped" partially because of my physical switch from east to west, but also because of my incredulous departure from the world of classical music. No one saw that coming, not even me. Definitely makes for interesting conversation when I run into people from middle school. Most people didn't even think I would leave the area, considering my music background. Others still chastise me for not going to Princeton when I had the opportunity. Whatever. I have plans. God has plans for me. Things are going to be awesome.

I'll devote part of each entry to something ridiculous/stupid/incredible I see around the time I write it. Today's sighting involves the snow we got this weekend. 22" or something crazy like that. Manhattan had some thunder and lightning too. Part of the reason I moved was to get away from the snow but..hm...looks like I'll have to clear it anyway. Oh, what luck! My dad decided to invest in a snow blower! Looks like things are going to be easier.

Hm, wait isn't the point of snow blowers to target the snow? Oh hey, lady, how come the debris coming out of the nozzle is brown and green? I don't think you're on the snow anymore......fantastic.




1 comment:

  1. So great to see you blogging! A couple things -- did you know Andy was a trumpet player and originally was going go into music performance for a career? His whole family is musicians/composers/conductors.

    Second, the part about celebrating Christmas with an Italian family made me laugh. My mom's family is Italian and it wasn't until I was in college, I think, that I realized not everybody makes a big deal out of Christmas Eve!

    ReplyDelete